Since 1999 the Gerst Haus has been an Evansville favorite, providing the best in German food in an authentic beer hall atmosphere. Our menu includes a variety of German and American food. Our signature dishes include our fresh wiener schnitzel, bratwurst, and corned beef and cabbage. We are noted for the “Best” Reuben sandwich in Nashville, where our other Gerst Haus is also located. We feature giant frozen Fishbowls of our own Gerst Amber beer, as well as 49 draughts and a large selection of imported beers. Our goal is to provide good food, good drink, and good service. We pride ourselves on a fun and authentic German atmosphere, and invite you to come and enjoy a meal with us.
Reservations: For parties of 8 or more Sunday-Thursday call (812) 424-1420.
Open: 7 days from 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Credit Cards: Visa/Mastercard and American Express
2100 W Franklin Street
Evansville, IN 47712
Telephone: (812) 424-1420
William H. Gerst was born in 1847, coming from a long line of brewers in the Bavarian region of Germany. A short time later the National Brewing Company was established in 1859 and changed hands several times. In 1890 Christian Moerlein and William Gerst went into partnership to open the Moerlin-Gerst Brewing Company, until Gerst bought out Moerlin and the brewery became William Gerst Brewing Company in 1893. The brewery was located on 6th Avenue South here in Nashville, Tennessee. William Gerst received a Master Brewers Certificate in 1888, and in 1889 was elected the second President of the United States Brewmaster’s Association. Gerst had a passion for horse racing. In 1910 his horse by the name of Donau won the Kentucky Derby in 2 minutes, 6.5 seconds, and is to this date the only horse owned by a Tennessean to win the derby. Gerst was a prominent business man and also a family man with 4 sons and 2 daughters. The sons all worked in the brewery and eventually would come to run the brewery. William Gerst retired from running the brewing business due to Prohibition. He died on March 10, 1933 and never got to see his brewery after the Prohibition law was repealed that same year.
A Gerst Haus Experience!
This Youtube video is from our Nashville location but will give you an idea of what to expect on your visit here…authentic German food, cold beer in a relaxing atmosphere.
The brewery closed in 1954 and the original building was demolished in 1963. To keep the Gerst name alive, grandson, William J. Gerst opened the Gerst Haus Restaurant at 315 2nd Avenue North in 1955. Due to its proximity to the Nashville Courthouse, it became a popular hang out for attorneys and politicians throughout the 1960’s. The Gerst Haus relocated in 1970 to 228 Woodland Street and remained there until 1998 when it was demolished to make room for the Tennessee Titans Stadium. The much awaited third Gerst Haus finally opened after a 2 year absence in August of 2000 at 301 Woodland Street were it remains.Today ownership of the Gerst Haus belongs to Jim and Jerry Chandler, who purchased it in 1988. The Chandler Brothers commissioned the Evansville Brewing Company to begin brewing Gerst Haus Premium Amber beer. They brewed Gerst Amber until the brewery declared bankruptcy in 1997. The Pittsburg Brewing Company Purchased the Evansville Brewing Company the following year and continues providing Gerst Amber beer in the tradition of the original Gerst Brewery.
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-38641332-1']); _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'gersthausevansville.com']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);